Friday, April 10, 2009

Girl Blogging, Dimensions Pt 1

I enjoyed this week's reading, it was interesting reading the "Female in a Male-Dominated Blogosphere" and I really got interested in reading the next reading "Blogging While Brown and Female". I really didn't care for the last 3 readings on "Economy Girlfriend", NY Times get punk'd", and the ugly truth about the poor...etc."

The one reading that I found very interesting and thought alot about it, is the " Threatened into Silence." It was interesting knowing that behind a hidden face and knowing you are a woman can still be threaten by expressing your opinion. I felt sorry for her, BB when she talked about how she stop writing on the blog after the threates by both sexes on the "checklist about rapists." She didn't write anymore because she didn't have it in her to write anymore. It took her passion of writing about her opinions away, but in the end I am glad she started writing again. I think it makes her a strong person to come back after sooo many hate emails and comments.

I think intimidation and silence tactics affect the power of blogging is by silencing the individual with threates. The words are stronger than verbal abuse. You know as a person that words stay within and you can't get them out of your head. You read what people say and it stick with you. As for me, I can chose to brush it off and say that person is an idiot or I can start thinking, which will definitley have an effect on me.
I think for blogs to overcome silence is to have strong support from people or followers on the blog and having good friends and family to help and support you. With this BB story, it affected her physically and it took her to write again. Than again, people don't really try to see a situation as a 3-D dimensional, the minute they see the word abortion, rapists, hatered, racism, religion, etc., it's a big issue. The sentence is never read at the end or paragraph to hear the conclusion.
I think blogs can be spaces of resistance by reflecting the speak out of "Freedom of Speech." I don't think there's really a space of resistance, there well always be a attack on bloggers who express their opinions. Right now, I could have a blogger that hates my comments on my blog, who knows.
That's a hate question to answer on how can a blog and media demonstrate the truth about society and some view of women. It's hate to tell what's the truth on a video if it's real or not and now a story. I can't tell if it's real or not. I still get trick on jokes, but I think if it's something like or I am reading something on some who is complaining, I usually put it down or don't bother to listen. I read parts of reading on the last 3 reading and I really didn't care to much to read it. I am not really interested on how much money people make then me or how someone is not getting enough sex from their boyfriend or husband.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about the other readings but the BB interview really makes you think.

    I think its just "programed" that if a man says something people think its important but if a women dose shes just complaining. . .just another double standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What MisfortunesDoomsDame said makes me think of the book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. It is natural that men and women commuicate differently. But one way of communicating should not be respected more than another.

    ReplyDelete