Thursday, April 16, 2009

Girl Blogging, Dimensions Pt 2

Wow, this week's reading was more interesting than last weeks reading. I wasn't expecting anything interesting from this reading, but it was an eye-opener for me. I will admit that I didn't or never wanted to read anything about Iraq, because of religion beliefs, having family and friends serving in the military and of course, what happen during 9/11.
What made me read these reading assignments was that in one of my classes, my professor was talking about seeing and understanding things from another view, instead of your view. And I know that my parents have always told me to see and understand from a different view of your view before you make judgement. So, doing the reading was an eye-opener for me to see and understand an Iraqi woman that blogs about her daily life during the war.
I enjoyed reading the "Baghdad Burning" by Riverbend, it gave a good description on what was happen to this Iraqi woman and how she lives and thinks about what's happen to her country. I thought the interesting part was how she kept mentioning that the power was out and the phone line was down and that she couldn't write on her blog. I liked her judgement on how she was watching tv on For Females Only by Al-Jazeera, where they interviewed 3 women on the show and they discuss women's rights in Iraq. She tells how she agrees and disagrees with some of the women.
I liked her writing on the blog about Sharia and Family Law, it was an understanding and very interesting fact about marriage between men and women in Iraq. I also thought that Iraqi men were women beaters, I am a sterotype person, but I was wrong about that, women in Iraqi do have a choice to get an divorce from their husband. The one part that I was touch about was when she was explaining the temporary marriage. I thought that was sad how she put it that it's a form of prostitution that leads into illegitimate children and spread of STDs.
Another reading that got my attention was when she was talking about her New Years with her family. Here in America, we celebrate New Year's in a big event with many people like family, friends, and people we don't know. But for her, she explains that it has to be a small gathering, because if it was big, they are mistaken for a "terrorist cell".
Yes, this blogging does demonstrate the power of blogging. She starts her blogging by saying that she started one, but didn't think it was going to capture many people from the internet. In the reading "The Girl Blogger from Iraq", she talks about how she started her blog and how it helped her to vent her fears and anger.
Again, it was an eye-opener for me. Like I said early in my writing, I am sterotype person, so doing this reading made me understand another country, which is Iraq. I watch news every night to see what's going, but that's the part that the media leaves out, the understanding of the people in Iraq. The problem I see with this is that not many Iraqi women would have the same thoughts or sharing their ideas like what she wrote on her blog. I am sure many Iraqi women have their own point of view and opinions on the war that live in Iraq. But she cleared some of my questions I had on women in Iraq about marriage. I guess I would say it's not what I thought it was like.

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering, why do you not find last week's readings interesting (trying to silence female bloggers)? You can email me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that this week's reading is very interesting. We really didn't hear much about what was the life like in other country, and Riverbend tells us the insight stories of life in Iraq and how we mistakenly informed by media or even our own government which is something that we never really heard of.

    ReplyDelete